Vortec 3500 flywheel modification

Vortec 3500 flywheel modification

Postby Cornchip » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31 pm

A thread on a forum outside of vortec4200.com got me thinking about flywheels again. Not for my own purpose, but to perhaps add knowledge about the possibility to modify a readily available flywheel. I put down 109 CDN on a LUK LFW466 steel flywheel that fits the 3500/3700 Vortecs. What I propose is moving the ring gear from it's location to it's new home copied from the location on a 4200 flex plate. Then drill the flywheel for the new 4200 bolt pattern and instead of boring it out, mill a profile carefully around the existing 3500 bolt circle. Then make a crank adapter from 1045 or 4140 that matches size for size that profile and bored for the 4200 crank pilot. I've done my CAD models. Looks like it works out. Adds 3MM to the assembled height as I capture the adapter behind the flywheel with the bolts. Not a big deal as the MA5 bearing retainer has extra meat in the casting to adjust the hydraulic throw out bearing. And this flywheel only works with the MA5 or clutch disks with that same spline count. Hopefully in the next while, I'll run off a single wheel and post some pictures.

Clint.

Cornchip

Re: Vortec 3500 flywheel modification

Postby Cornchip » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Had a bit of free time now the the Christmas break is near. Just wanted to post a few pictures of the modified 3500 flywheel and how it worked out. I think it's quite viable and safe when machined by skilled hands with the correct machinery. However, I might still use the original billet steel wheel I made depending on what the 4x4 AR5 has for input splines (I just bought a AR5 for $410 with 16,000 kms...a rebuild kit costs as much for a AX15..wow). Everything I have read says they are a standard GM 26 spline. The 10.5 inch pressure has a slight edge on total surface over the newer Metric unit found on the Colorado-Canyons. I should also add the aftermarket has considerably more options for the GM 10.5 as well. Sorry, I didn't take any before pictures of the 3500 flywheel.

Clint.

Cornchip

Return to Manual Transmissions