Cornchip's 1987 Jeep YJ Wrangler 4200 Build

Cornchip's 1987 Jeep YJ Wrangler 4200 Build

Postby Cornchip » Sun May 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Didn't start this build officially until September of 2016. I promised myself at that point I wouldn't post a build until I had an engine in a roller. Today is that day. Lot's to do and I promise this won't go quickly. My hopes for this truck is something of an update over the original AMC 4.2 I6 replaced with the Vortec 4200. The Jeeps came with in most cases the Aisin AX-15. I had a change of plan over the Christmas holidays when I looked at the AX-15 I had. It needed a rebuild and I decided to salvage the rear section and see if an Aisin AR5 could be adapted. The AR5 I bought had just under 15,000 kms on it and was $400 US shipped from British Columbia for another $60. Affordable and worth an attempt to build a hybrid 5 speed.

Currently I'm working on getting the mount's finalized and other tings before I get the body back on permanently. Maybe before fall arrives, I can have the body work well under way if not finished.

A couple of picture of the roller tonight and I'll see if I can sort out some other pictures later.

The donor for my project, a 2008 GMC Envoy.

The engine complete with steel oil pan.

2010 Chevrolet Colorado AR5 Transmission donor.

Edit 6/11/17
Adding a few pictures for the transmission and transmission combo. FYI, the AR5 is nearly mechanically identical to the AX15 found in Jeeps. Two problems come up however. The output shaft is 1.900" inches longer and is a GM standard 27 spline. Easy to overcome, get an input gear (early gear cut for my 231J) and machine an extension housing complete with proper sealing between the two. The other problem is the AR5 has 10mm wide grooves for the shift finger while the AX15 has 15mm wide. Again, modify the AX15 shift finger to 10mm wide. Pay close attention to the distance you recut the finger in relation to the small finger opposite. That is the reverse lockout finger. Get it wrong and you won't be able to shift out of 5th smoothly. Others may ask, the extension housing from the AX15 bolts perfectly to the AR5. Makes this whole adaption possible. Oh...a CV style SYE kit is a must for this swap.

Rusty AX15

Clean insides of the AR5 4X4

Various extension housing shots. AX15 on the left and AR5 on right.

1.900 inch too long 27 spline output

NP241C TC input gear

Unmodified shift fingers

Modified shift fingers

Extension Extension Housing

Assembled using Dorman automotive studs (grade 8) #675-008.

Overall assembly minus a few parts...

Flywheel I made for this conversion.

Might call it an AR15. :)

Last edited by Cornchip on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Cornchip

Re: Cornchip's 1987 Jeep YJ Wrangler 4200 Build

Postby Cornchip » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Been a month since I started this thread and not much activity, but I'll post a little more. That said, bodies on temporarily and the dog house bolted together. All clearances look good except to steering shaft and the lower hose/thermostat housing trying to be in the same place. I'll make up a custom thermostat housing that routes itself down and forward avoiding the shaft all together. Next step is to rip it apart again and finish weld the mounts and touch the frame up.

Stock location for the shifters thanks to the AX15 tail housing.

Generous tunnel clearance.

Drivers side.

Passenger side. Again, great exhaust location for this application.

Hoods not an issue.

Oil pan is safely high enough to avoid the differential.

Mount C-clamp ready for welding.

Early Ford Taurus 2 speed E-fan mocked for front clearance.

1/2 inch to spare. :o

Last edited by Cornchip on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cornchip

Postby limequat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm not following the transfer case adaptation...
The AX15 tailhousing bolts up to the AR5, why is the adapter needed for the t-case? How did you get around the input shaft?

Lol at AR15 :)
limequat

Postby Cornchip » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm not following the transfer case adaptation...

There might be a some what common output shaft design with regards to bearing diameters etc. If true, you could combine the two transmissions and use the AX15 output/main shaft in the AR5. No space behind the extension would be needed then. Definitely the way to fly if you had the balls to rip apart a perfectly near new 5 speed. I went a different route and left the AR5 intact and dealt with the 1.9" too long output by machining a spacer and using a double cardan driveshaft and slip yoke eliminator. Also a 27 spline input gear was sourced from a NP241C to swap out the 23 spline Jeep unit. So it's an extension, not an adapter.

How did you get around the input shaft?

Oh...the input shaft isn't a problem at all if I understand you question. I bought a new friction disc (comes in the LUK Repset 04-019). It's uses the exact same pressure plate used by Jeep and many other Dodge's and GM cars. All bolts fine to my flywheel and matches the input shaft of the AR5. A note to Marc if you're reading. You could very well consider making your flywheels a solid 1/8" to 3/16" thicker if you used this clutch setup. You'd have a far better drive off the clutch and less prone to heat related issues. As it stands, Jerry's common flywheel weigh's approximately 26 pounds. Not a bad number for a driver, but off road you'd want to get that additional 4 pounds or so if you could.
Cornchip

Postby Cornchip » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:51 am

Look's like this thread and others on the net are about to take a real step backwards soon. Photobucket has changed it's policies and are demanding 39.99 (Plus 500 plan) for '3rd party' hosting. It's just a matter of time before they notice other accounts and shutdown the content. I'll attempt a rebuild when I find a better host.

Edit....pictures fixed in this thread. I have a XBOX account that has Onedrive storage. Seems like it's working fine again.
Cornchip

Postby Cornchip » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:35 am

Not much new to add in the past month. Been working a bit with finishing the body so I can assemble some parts.

Mounts welded to frame and touched up.

Dark Grey Ceramic. Looks more Blue to me. Depends on the lighting. It's starting to grow on me.

The grill. Yes, that's my driveway growing. Seems like the rain will never end this summer. Will be doing a new drive before the years up.
Cornchip

Return to Projects